Sunday, April 18, 2010

I'm getting a divorce. It's no longer my husband and I and our son who live outside of Washington, it's just my son and I. Recovery from something like this always takes its own course. I need to make a list of things I will do, or still do, things that I enjoy, things that my son enjoys:

1) go to museums
2) have parties at my house
3) go out to eat
4) go to the arboretum
5) have friends over more often

Classic extrovert. I like to be surrounded by people. I think the classic things people feel in these cases are true to form for me. In some ways I don't think all humans are special. I think, like most animals, we are restricted by a certain amount of sameness. That's why people like doctors can do their jobs because our bodies react to things in formulaic fashion. Our brains are much the same. People respond to being abandoned with certain pre-programmed ideas or responses.

I'll still be cooking, but cooking for 1 and a half.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm sorry you have to go through all of this, Jane.

We hope to be included in all of the above fun activities. And, I've seen G-baby eat - he can defiantly take down a full portion!

dj chenski said...

Sorry to hear this Jane. I move and live around the corner from your school. Let me know if you ever want to grab coffee together.

Sarah Garb said...

I will gladly come to any and all of those parties.

Don't forget about another list item: Drinks at the Marriott with the girls.

And if you ever have more than 1 and a half's worth of dinner, I love leftovers for lunch. Meatless, nut-free leftovers.